On what frequencies are spread spectrum transmissions permitted?
- Only on amateur frequencies above 50 MHz
- Only on amateur frequencies above 222 MHz
- Only on amateur frequencies above 420 MHz
- Only on amateur frequencies above 144 MHz
What privileges are authorized in the U.S. to persons holding an amateur service license granted by the government of Canada?
- None, they must obtain a U.S. license
- All privileges of the Amateur Extra Class license
- The operating terms and conditions of the Canadian amateur service license, not to exceed U.S. Amateur Extra Class license privileges
- Full privileges, up to and including those of the Amateur Extra Class license, on the 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meter bands
Under what circumstances may a dealer sell an external RF power amplifier capable of operation below 144 MHz if it has not been granted FCC certification?
- It was purchased in used condition from an amateur operator and is sold to another amateur operator for use at that operator's station
- The equipment dealer assembled it from a kit
- It was imported from a manufacturer in a country that does not require certification of RF power amplifiers
- It was imported from a manufacturer in another country and was certificated by that country's government
Which of the following geographic descriptions approximately describes "Line A"?
- A line roughly parallel to and south of the border between the U.S. and Canada
- A line roughly parallel to and west of the U.S. Atlantic coastline
- A line roughly parallel to and north of the border between the U.S. and Mexico
- A line roughly parallel to and east of the U.S. Pacific coastline
Amateur stations may not transmit in which of the following frequency segments if they are located in the contiguous 48 states and north of Line A?
- 440 MHz - 450 MHz
- 53 MHz - 54 MHz
- 222 MHz - 223 MHz
- 420 MHz - 430 MHz
Under what circumstances might the FCC issue a Special Temporary Authority (STA) to an amateur station?
- To provide for experimental amateur communications
- To allow regular operation on Land Mobile channels
- To provide additional spectrum for personal use
- To provide temporary operation while awaiting normal licensing
When may an amateur station send a message to a business?
- When the total money involved does not exceed $25
- When the control operator is employed by the FCC or another government agency
- When transmitting international third-party communications
- When neither the amateur nor his or her employer has a pecuniary interest in the communications
Which of the following types of amateur station communications are prohibited?
- Communications transmitted for hire or material compensation, except as otherwise provided in the rules
- Communications that have political content, except as allowed by the Fairness Doctrine
- Communications that have religious content
- Communications in a language other than English
Which of the following conditions apply when transmitting spread spectrum emissions?
- A station transmitting SS emission must not cause harmful interference to other stations employing other authorized emissions
- The transmitting station must be in an area regulated by the FCC or in a country that permits SS emissions
- The transmission must not be used to obscure the meaning of any communication
- All these choices are correct
Who may be the control operator of an auxiliary station?
- Any licensed amateur operator
- Only Technician, General, Advanced or Amateur Extra Class operators
- Only General, Advanced or Amateur Extra Class operators
- Only Amateur Extra Class operators
Which of the following best describes one of the standards that must be met by an external RF power amplifier if it is to qualify for a grant of FCC certification?
- It must produce full legal output when driven by not more than 5 watts of mean RF input power
- It must be capable of external RF switching between its input and output networks
- It must exhibit a gain of 0 dB or less over its full output range
- It must satisfy the FCC's spurious emission standards when operated at the lesser of 1500 watts or its full output power