Which mode is normally used when sending RTTY signals via AFSK with an SSB transmitter?
How can a PACTOR modem or controller be used to determine if the channel is in use by other PACTOR stations?
- Unplug the data connector temporarily and see if the channel-busy indication is turned off
- Put the modem or controller in a mode which allows monitoring communications without a connection
- Transmit UI packets several times and wait to see if there is a response from another PACTOR station
- Send the message, "Is this frequency in use?"
What symptoms may result from other signals interfering with a PACTOR or WINMOR transmission?
- Frequent retries or timeouts
- Long pauses in message transmission
- Failure to establish a connection between stations
- All these choices are correct
What segment of the 20-meter band is most often used for digital transmissions (avoiding the DX propagation beacons)?
- 14.000 - 14.050 MHz
- 14.070 - 14.112 MHz
- 14.150 - 14.225 MHz
- 14.275 - 14.350 MHz
What is the standard sideband used to generate a JT65, JT9, or FT8 digital signal when using AFSK in any amateur band?
What is the most common frequency shift for RTTY emissions in the amateur HF bands?
- 85 Hz
- 170 Hz
- 425 Hz
- 850 Hz
What segment of the 80-meter band is most commonly used for digital transmissions?
- 3570 - 3600 kHz
- 3500 - 3525 kHz
- 3700 - 3750 kHz
- 3775 - 3825 kHz
In what segment of the 20-meter band are most PSK31 operations commonly found?
- At the bottom of the slow-scan TV segment, near 14.230 MHz
- At the top of the SSB phone segment, near 14.325 MHz
- In the middle of the CW segment, near 14.100 MHz
- Below the RTTY segment, near 14.070 MHz
How do you join a contact between two stations using the PACTOR protocol?
- Send broadcast packets containing your call sign while in MONITOR mode
- Transmit a steady carrier until the PACTOR protocol times out and disconnects
- Joining an existing contact is not possible, PACTOR connections are limited to two stations
- Send a NAK response continuously so that the sending station must stand by
Which of the following is a way to establish contact with a digital messaging system gateway station?
- Send an email to the system control operator
- Send QRL in Morse code
- Respond when the station broadcasts its SSID
- Transmit a connect message on the station's published frequency
Which of the following is characteristic of the FT8 mode of the WSJT-X family?
- It is a keyboard-to-keyboard chat mode
- Each transmission takes exactly 60 seconds
- It is limited to use on VHF
- Typical exchanges are limited to call signs, grid locators, and signal reports
Which of the following connectors would be a good choice for a serial data port?
- Type N
- Type SMA
Which communication system sometimes uses the internet to transfer messages?
What could be wrong if you cannot decode an RTTY or other FSK signal even though it is apparently tuned in properly?
- The mark and space frequencies may be reversed
- You may have selected the wrong baud rate
- You may be listening on the wrong sideband
- All these choices are correct
Which of the following is a requirement when using the FT8 digital mode?
- A special hardware modem
- Computer time accurate within approximately 1 second
- Receiver attenuator set to -12 dB
- A vertically polarized antenna