With which countries are FCC-licensed amateur radio stations prohibited from exchanging communications?
- Any country whose administration has notified the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) that it objects to such communications
- Any country whose administration has notified the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) that it objects to such communications
- Any country engaged in hostilities with another country
- Any country in violation of the War Powers Act of 1934
Under which of the following circumstances may an amateur radio station make one-way transmissions?
- Under no circumstances
- When transmitting code practice, information bulletins, or transmissions necessary to provide emergency communications
- At any time, as long as no music is transmitted
- At any time, as long as the material being transmitted did not originate from a commercial broadcast station
When is it permissible to transmit messages encoded to hide their meaning?
- Only during contests
- Only when operating mobile
- Only when transmitting control commands to space stations or radio control craft
- Only when frequencies above 1280 MHz are used
Under what conditions is an amateur station authorized to transmit music using a phone emission?
- When incidental to an authorized retransmission of manned spacecraft communications
- When the music produces no spurious emissions
- When the purpose is to interfere with an illegal transmission
- When the music is transmitted above 1280 MHz
When may amateur radio operators use their stations to notify other amateurs of the availability of equipment for sale or trade?
- When the equipment is normally used in an amateur station and such activity is not conducted on a regular basis
- When the asking price is $100.00 or less
- When the asking price is less than its appraised value
- When the equipment is not the personal property of either the station licensee or the control operator or their close relatives
What, if any, are the restrictions concerning transmission of language that may be considered indecent or obscene?
- The FCC maintains a list of words that are not permitted to be used on amateur frequencies
- Any such language is prohibited
- The ITU maintains a list of words that are not permitted to be used on amateur frequencies
- There is no such prohibition
What types of amateur stations can automatically retransmit the signals of other amateur stations?
- Auxiliary, beacon, or Earth stations
- Repeater, auxiliary, or space stations
- Beacon, repeater, or space stations
- Earth, repeater, or space stations
In which of the following circumstances may the control operator of an amateur station receive compensation for operating that station?
- When the communication is related to the sale of amateur equipment by the control operator's employer
- When the communication is incidental to classroom instruction at an educational institution
- When the communication is made to obtain emergency information for a local broadcast station
- All of these choices are correct
Under which of the following circumstances are amateur stations authorized to transmit signals related to broadcasting, program production, or news gathering, assuming no other means is available?
- Only where such communications directly relate to the immediate safety of human life or protection of property
- Only when broadcasting communications to or from the space shuttle
- Only where noncommercial programming is gathered and supplied exclusively to the National Public Radio network
- Only when using amateur repeaters linked to the internet
What is the meaning of the term "broadcasting" in the FCC rules for the Amateur Radio Service?
- Two-way transmissions by amateur stations
- Transmission of music
- Transmission of messages directed only to amateur operators
- Transmissions intended for reception by the general public
When may an amateur station transmit without on-the-air identification?
- When the transmissions are of a brief nature to make station adjustments
- When the transmissions are unmodulated
- When the transmitted power level is below 1 watt
- When transmitting signals to control model craft